If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.NewMexico.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Olive Oil

I love olive oil. As a prepper olive oil is something that you should have in your storage for many reasons.

This site gives 25 alternative uses for olive oil. This is one tip listed: Cure an earache. Very carefully, use a cotton swab to apply olive oil to the outside ear cavity to help with earaches and excess wax.

Olive oil can be used in oil lamps. This is a great link that shows the how to's of making an oil lamp.

I switched to olive oil long before I took on the label "prepper" as I had gall bladder issues and was told that mine needed to be removed. Instead of opting for surgery right away, I researched how I could make simple changes to possibly change the need for having my gall bladder removed. I discovered that switching 100 percent to olive oil in my cooking/baking, would be beneficial. Well I had the issues in 1999 and was told that I would need it removed immediately, and ten years later I have not had one flare up.

That is a prepper trait too, by the way. Preppers should be prepared to resolve a situation by assessing all the data before acting. Now sometimes this is a split second decision, but most times you are granted a bit of time before acting. Be sincere in your actions and determine things based on all the information instead of what our society deems to be best.

What I mean by this is what my doctor told me. He said Americans will not give up their foods, so instead of suggesting to me a change in habits,he instead suggested that I should just remove the problem. {Crazy how lazy we have become }

As a prepper I have several gallons of olive oil on hand. As one who tries to make most if not all of my foods from scratch, I have found that olive oil can be used in place of any and all oils and impacts the flavors very little, and if it does it is for the better.

Olive oil is a base for your preps and should be on hand for its versatility. Using this LDS food calculator site, my family needs to have 10 gallons of oil on hand for a year. Do not minimize food storage in your prepping as it is one of the big three: Food~ Shelter~ Clothing.

Double Nickel Farm
medicinal uses for olive oil
8 surprising uses of olive oil

(c) Jennifer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Jennifer. Olive Oil is a good think to have in your preps.

matthiasj
Kentucky Preppers Network

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome post. I did not realize olive oil was this versatile.-Shelly

ErinAndBrad said...

Great post - I too have been using olive oil for many things including herbal extracts that are too strong to take undiluted such as oil of oregano!

Anonymous said...

Great post Jen. I didn't know olive oil was so versatile. Taught me something, Thanks.
YeOldFurt

New Mexico Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. New Mexico Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.